StrongPosture® Tip 19: Ball Circles
Get on the ball!
Here’s a quick posture break that incorporates a motor control exercise (MCE).
New back pain recommendations from American College of Physicians advise against drugs in favor of motor control exercise because they systematically retrain control by focusing awareness and mindful attention for greater motion accuracy.
Try this beginning StrongPosture® exercise
Isolate neglected deep muscles and connect to your deep core muscles.
- Sit tall on your anti burst exercise ball
- Keep your knees still as you move your pelvis in a clockwise circle
- Make 3 slooooowwww round circles
- Repeat in the other direction
Focus torso-pelvis control even deeper
- Repeat the exercise, this time keeping your knees and your torso still
- Sit tall and move only your hips
The circles will get smaller as concentration required for accurate control is greater.
StrongPosture® Protocolsare designed to retrain control of the subtle segmental motions, often incorporated after motion is restored with a spinal manipulation.
If you’ve already incorporated the tip to swap your work chair for a ball, it’ll be easy to take a break a couple times a day to break up stiffness and improve core control.