StrongPosture® Tip 5: How to Walk Taller and Stronger
Focus on PostureZone® Symmetry
Having good posture is more than that moment in time captured when having a picture taken, it’s about how your body is moving throughout life.
All body motion – from walking and running, to working and playing – begins with your internal perception of “standing tall” which makes focusing on posture awareness a first step towards real change and improvement.
Training proper alignment with posture-in-motion can begin with something as simple as walking.
Walking Check in a Few Steps
While you walk consider this…
- When pushing off with your toe to propel forward, does it feel the same on each sides?
- When planting your foot in front of you, are both heels striking the same way? And, at the same point?
- Are the length of your steps the same on both sides? Is one longer than the other?
- Do your arms swing evenly at your sides?
- Are you leaning forward?
- Is your head winning the race or aligned with your body?
Strengthen Your Stride
Try this StrongPosture® awareness exercise during your next walk. While you stroll be aware…
- Hold your head high, like a balloon is gently lifting from the crown
- Roll your shoulders up, back and drop them down in a relaxed state
- Arms to your sides, thumbs should point forward
- Ready! Take a mindful stroll and reevaluate your gait pattern from the earlier walking check.
Always wear good shoes – they are your posture foundation. Check shoes for wear now and then.
The way to strengthen posture and walk strong begins with focusing attention on a single point at a time, then adding another element later. Incorporate this easy posture tip into daily life starting today!